Saturday, January 3, 2009

Trinity Winter Term 09

Christmas break is over and it is the beginning of a new year. Not knowing what the year holds always seems so exciting. This year a lot of change will take place and for me it is a little nerve racking to think about. It is crazy to look back at the start of the term when everyone was just getting back from their summer vacations and excited to be moving back to school to catch up with all their friends. I can picture it in my head as if it were yesterday. As the house manager this year, I wanted to make sure everything was in order before move-in day rolled around. I had schedules, plans, and expectations for the year that I was anxiously waiting to take flight. Girls moved in and it was time to get things started. Through the term I realized that challenges are one of the ways our heavenly Father grows us stronger because well... the plans and expectations I had sort of flew out the window. It is amazing to see in a span of four months how much you can learn and grow from God, the people you are surrounded by, and yourself. One of the most encouraging things during the fall was being able to watch the freshman start out in a whole new atmosphere filled with new places, a new school, and new people. I've been there and it can be scary and exciting but they jumped right in ready to try new things and get involved. I am truly blessed to be put in the role of manager this year, to be able to work with the women that were also put in leadership positions, and to live with 43 other wonderful women who also strive to live the life that the Lord has placed before them. Times got a little tough, but the girls kept me going. As the year continues, I am eager to see what God has in store for Trinity and the lives of the girls that live here.

After being snowed in for half of the break due to weather conditions (snow), I spent a large amount of time doing things that I hadn't been able to do during the school year like reading (for pleasure...not school), sleeping, and thinking. I'm glad that the UofO is on a term schedule because after 10 weeks and a break, we're able to start a fresh new term. During the time of thinking, I was able to focus on last term and what went well and what needs to be worked on. I am stoked for winter term. There are many things that are waiting to happen and I can't wait to get them started. Fall term moved in the direction of getting to know each other while this term will be focused more on the spiritual aspect, the whole purpose of why we're living in this house. In the beginning of the year I had picked out a verse that I wanted the house to focus on. Though we didn't really think about it much last term, I really want to emphasize it this term. It is Ephesians 4:2-3 "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace." We have a great opportunity to build this house up in Christ and go out and spread Christ's love to everyone. Continuing to build each other up and keeping each other accountable will also be a focus point. If we can't build each other up, how do we expect to do it to others outside of the house? Another passage I came across that striked a chord inside me was Romans 12:3-6 "For by the grace given to me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you outh, but rather think of yourself with sober judgement, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you. Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given us." We all are given gifts and I want everyone to be able to use those. Encouraging girls to own up to things they love to do and using the gifts God has given us to better unify the house. The gifts these girls have continue to amaze me each and every day.

A new term also means a new crew of leadership who all have expressed strong interests in the positions. I'm excited to work with these women and get to know them better on a leadership level. I know they will exceed in their roles far beyond what I can comprehend. Many great things are going to happen and it's nothing one can plan out. I've learned that I just have to take a day at a time and keep trusting that the Lord has it all worked out. Our plans are not necessarily His plans (something that is difficult for someone that likes to plan). Let's wipe the slate clean and start winter term off fresh. As we say good-bye to fall, we say hello to winter.

Kaela

No comments:

Post a Comment